Friday, April 27, 2012

Planning trip to Austin

I am so excited to be visiting Austin again. Kris and I booked a hotel for the weekend of May 12th and I already want to start planning it. 

Keep Austin Weird
View of downtown Austin

We're driving up Saturday morning and leaving Sunday. On road trips, I love to stop at Christie's Donuts on Montrose. Their kolaches are the BEST and it's the perfect to-go breakfast.

Then, it's a 3 hour drive up 290. I booked us at the Hilton downtown Austin, because it's the cheapest hotel that's right downtown near 6th street, so we can walk and don't have to worry about parking.


I want to go to the Barton Creek farmer's market when we first get there. It looks really yummy, and I've never been.




Next, assuming we're not stuffed on fresh fruits and vegetables, I want to go to Shady Grove. Their turkey sandwich is the best I've ever had. Yummm! 


We can relax outside and have a beer. I really hope it won't be in the 90s yet!

Shady Grove is very Austin
Shady Grove
Shady Grove Turkey Sandwich- to die for
After lunch, we're going to Zilker Botanical Gardens, right up the street. I've always wanted to check it out. There's a butterfly garden, fragrance garden, oriental garden, rose garden... I can't wait to take pictures!


Zilker Botanical Garden

After the garden we can head back to the hotel, park the car and relax a bit. If we have time before dinner we can stroll up and down 2nd street and window shop. That street is so nice, but the stores are pricey. I love how it's lined with trees with little lights.


I really want to take Kris to Moonshine for dinner. There are no reservations, and it gets packed, so I'm thinking we can walk over there for an early dinner.





They serve popcorn on the table and the food is delicious. The beer battered asparagus is to DIE for! 

After dinner, we are going to our absolute favorite bar, Peche. It means 'sin' in French. They do amazing, high quality pre-prohibition cocktails that are out of this world. Their tag line is: "We are the reason prohibition was repealed." I believe it.


 






Peche

Dark and Stormy
The Dark and Stormy is one of my favorites. House made ginger beer with rum. Mmmm. Plus I love the name. 
After that, who knows where the night will take us. 
Maybe to 6th street. 
Likely back to bed because we like our sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment