Sunday, April 8, 2012

Curtains and flips

I decided to create a privacy drape for the upstairs loft area where Ainsley sleeps. She picked between this and a lacey curtain at Ikea. The curtains were only $5, plus the cost of some screw-in hooks to hang it. Score!


First I used a pencil to mark the hook placement, each about 6 inches apart. 
Then Kris helped by nailing in a starter hole for my screws.


Nailing starter hole for hooks
Next, I screwed all the hooks in. Whew! 


All hooks are in


I hung the curtains by piercing the hooks through the folded fabric along the top, since they was meant to go with a rod. It worked just fine, which is good because I didn't have a back up plan.

Curtain hung on hooks

First side done

All done!

View from downstairs
It was quick and easy and now she has a pretty screen she can tie back or leave closed. I still need to buy some ribbon she can use to tie them.


When I was done Kris made me a pink bonnet. I wonder if there's a rule about drinking on Easter...




Pink Bonnet, adapted from thenibble.com. Makes 1 drink.



Ingredients
  • 2 ounces gin
  • 1/2 ounce simple syrup
  •  juice of half a lemon
  • 3 dashes (about 3 tbsp) of crème de framboise
  • White of a small egg
Preparation
  1. Shake all ingredients without ice to
    emulsify the egg whites.
  2. Shake all ingredients with ice and
    strain into a small cocktail glass.
Kris was annoyed at having to shake the drink once without and once with the ice. It can probably be done just once with the ice, but since I'm a stickler about following instructions, he did it twice. :)


Pink Bonnet
He made himself a maple bourbon flip. His flips are out of this world. Here is his homemade recipe:

Maple Bourbon Flip

3 oz Woodford Reserve bourbon
1 oz maple syrup
1 whole egg
1 pinch ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch ground allspice

Instructions:

1. Mix all ingredients.

2. Add a bit of ice, shake until frothy.

3. Strain into glass. Enjoy.

Maple Bourbon Flip



No comments:

Post a Comment